This section has 18 ways in all divided into two medley lists. We have decided to not stretch things out indefinitely and end with a bang! And what better way to go about it than with two short and punchy medley sections. Take good note of the primary and secondary attributes. And of our advice! It is after all the product of exhaustive research and distilled experience!
MONETIZING A PODACST
Let’s start off with what on earth is a podcast! No, it is not some weird biological pod in which aliens can incubate and rise to snatch our souls! You can thank the constant suggestion by Hollywood for this graphic piece of visualization. We all know of blogs! Yes, the little buggers which are all the fad and you are very well aware of the existence of videos on sites like YouTube! The word podcast is the portmanteau of the words Broadcasting and IPod.
A podcast can be subscribed to live a regular blog feed and automatically delivers quality radio files to your computer on the topic that you want. These files are then synced with your MP3 player (not necessarily an IPod) and you can access fresh, edgy content from your favorite niche without corporate broadcasting guidelines and fake saccharine coated bureaucratic restrictions which ordinary radio shows are full of.
MAIN ATTRIBUTE: You need speaking power and lots of it. Basically a talent for selecting a topic, researching it and then creating content which people will remember to listen to! It is a little bit more difficult to convey “awesomeness” via audio, but hey this is a relatively un-crowded domain and you can strike it rich here.
SECONDARY ATTRIBUTE: And you need strong marketing skills! Podcasts are catching on but they have a long way to go to reach the ubiquitous popularity of blogs! So market away.
HOW TO DO IT:
- 1. Get an idea of the topic you would like to podcast about. Remember that podcasts are available in the episode format. So the niche you choose should be able to sustain interest of the listeners. You can hop a ride to www.podcast.com to take a look at what others are doing in terms of podcast topics.
- 2. Once your topic is firmly in place, you should start your research. Listen to a few great podcasts out there and see what their secret juice is. Is it the super engaging style of the host which can make dull content seem like the revelation of a lifetime (which unfortunately in an innate talent) or is it the podcast structure which provides short bursts of information with lots of good natured humor? It will ultimately depend upon your listeners.
- 3. You need to then get the podcasting equipment in place. You need a good quality microphone, you need an audio mixer (if you will not be using the sound card of your laptop) and last but not the least you need an audio software for editing the podcasts, fine tuning the audio feedback and filtering noise.
- 4. Once you have at least one series of 7 episodes in place, you can think of monetizing your podcast. You can start a podcast page and use Adbrite, Infolinks and Adsense to make money from the traffic. After you have made some name for yourself, you can search for a sponsor for your podcast series- say you love Chinese food, you can ask your local Chinese restaurant to sponsor your podcast series. And if you really make it B-I-G, some companies may offer you money to podcast about their brand!
Whatever you do, the revenue is generally good considering the startup cost of a $100 or even less for a series of podcasts.
Tie up your podcast with your blog! That way you can enjoy free advertising for your podcast and you can frequently weave in the name of your blog in the podcast itself! A double whammy!
TRANSLATION OF DOCUMENTS:
We absolutely know the fact that there are lots of software solutions in the market which can translate for people. But have you actually seen the atrocious results of some? Just try to translate a line or two from a foreign language into English and the terrible quality will convince you of the poor job that is being done in the opposite case too. Translation is a hot job field now! Especially in case of literary pieces where more than the meaning of the words, nuance and placement matter! There is simply NO substitute for a good old human hand and brain taking time out to puzzle over the structure of the original piece to create a great translation.
MAIN ATTRIBUTE: You need to know a foreign language! Duh! And don’t go rushing to learn one. With many great native translators in the market who are naturally bilingual, the quality expectations are extremely high. Chinese is the darling of the moment. You can earn up to about $70 per hour translating Chinese into English.
SECOND ATTRIBUTE: You have to have some writing sense. You need to translate not only the literal meaning of the original; you also need to transfer the essence of the work into the translation.
HOW TO DO IT:
It’s very easy! Close your eyes and go to www.elance.com and register in the Writing and Translation category! You will be surprised by the ease with which you can start earning a lot of money! Elance is the best portal in terms of translation jobs and has a number of free tools to facilitate the job of a freelancer.
THE GAMING GUST:
The next 5 rapid fire ways we will bring to you belong completely to the virtual realm of the internet! The internet is a different world, we all know that. One in which viruses are bits of code and the anti-viruses are also..well bits of code. Those who work online for the most part have an existence which is pleasant. One which doesn’t have traffic congestion and useless egos! But there is a way to kick up the virtual experience a notch. To actually introduce a three dimensional aspect to the feeling of living in a different world! And that is gaming. Gone are the days when the intrepid little Mario jumped from level to level trying to avoid a tumbling barrage of bricks, cacti and hay! Right now a good quality video game is like a portal to hyper reality. A universe where zombies walk and warrior princesses with flowing tresses fight evil in teeny tiny dresses. A universe where you can be an ancient gun slinger, a universe where you can be a God!
It is precisely this feeling of being in control of one’s destiny, of being omnipotent, of being a beauty queen even if in real life you weigh 200 pounds which compound to describe the popularity of gaming.
MAIN ATTRIBUTE: For all the ways mentioned here, you need to know the world of gaming extremely well. You should be acquainted with the parameters which account for success in the strange distended lands of the virtual empire in question.
SECONDARY ATTRIBUTE: A sense of humor! Yes, it is very much needed if you are to proclaim that your major source of income is selling virtual Real Estate! And why not, after all there are millionaires out there who have made their fortunes in the virtual world.
GOLD FARMING MAKES MONEY:
Indeed it does. Just ask Josh Miroslav who makes around $10,000 a month, gold farming on a game called Runescape.
If you don’t know what we are talking about, you better skip this particular bit. To be a proficient gold farmer you MUST a prodigy at the game in which you wish to practice the fine art of gold farming. For all the readers, who are compulsive knowledge hoarders and have been reading our work to up the “awareness quotient”, here is a formal definition of gold farming.
“Gold farming is an online concept for virtual reality games in which proficient players accrue in game currency and sell it off to novice players from developed countries who wish to progress in the game without spending many hundreds of hours to earn the required points or currency stock”
Needless to say that the money earned in return for the in game currency is hard real cash and it is also illegal! Your account will most likely be banned by the game operators if they discover your trade! This makes it difficult to advertise “your services”. But we believe that gold farmers are like the Illuminati- they have their own secret society. If you are a dedicated gamer and a known name in the gaming circle, chances are you will be approached by eager buyers to share your virtual fortune in return for money.
PARTICIPATE IN GAMING TOURNAMENTS:
Gaming tournaments are grand! The dream of hardworking gamers! Video games have been around for quite some time and even a decade ago to participate in a gaming tournament you had to travel to the tournament site and register for the privilege of pitching your nimble fingers against other gaming junkies from around the country. With the internet becoming omnipotent, gaming tournaments have lost some of their aura of glamor. There are some sites which organize these tournaments daily and players from all corners of the world can throw in their bits and square off against each other.
A prime example of a website which gives away cash prizes for winning tournaments is www.gamersaloon.com.
There are free as well as paid entry options and even though it is no longer “exclusive”, the adrenaline pump is just as exhilarating as ever.
SELL IN GAME REAL ESTATE TO EARN ONLINE:
Does the name Anshe Chung ring a bell? I am sure it does. Anshe Chung is a millionaire. She is smart pretty and dynamic. She is a master architect and has a team of professional developers at her beck and call who slog away to build from ground up, dazzling homes, villas and bungalows for the residents of Second Life! Just because none of the above actually exist in the physical world doesn’t make a dint in the achievements or the bank account of Anshe Chung! Who by the way is the virtual avatar of one Ailin Graef! Second Life is truly a second chance for many. To groove to the drum beats of glamor, sophistication, success and even romance which have eluded them in real life! There are many thousands of people who shuffle through their day jobs as dull as ditch water and come home to strip away their humdrum personas and slip into flamboyant avatars which sip martini and go on late night cruises with other kindred souls! And these people, bedazzled by the beauty of their “alternative life” wish to indulge in real world activities like buying great homes to reinforce the reality of their make believe existences. Sounds sad, but if you have an eye for architecture and development and you know Second Life like the back of your hand, you may earn quite a nice sum of cash selling virtual Real Estate.
HOW TO DO IT:
Since Second Life and Ultima Online are virtual existences rather than games, you can beat the frenetic pace of a conventional video game and take it easy. This makes the process more dependent upon the talent you possess and the marketing and customer service skills you bring to the table rather than mindless practice and tennis elbow!
- 1. Sign up for Second Life or any similar program.
- 2. Buy a parcel of land of 16 acres from Linden Lab (the creators of Second Life)
- 3. This parcel or “sim” can then be rezoned and sold off as smaller parcels to buyers. You can add value features like landscaping, a great house and other facilities….in true sense the sky is the limit!
- 4. You will be paid in Second Life currency called Linden Dollars which can then be exchanged for real money at the rate of roughly 270 Linden Dollars for 1USD.
We can see your eyes shining! Yes, it is impossibly alluring. So before we leave, we will drop in a sound bit of advice: Don’t spend more than you can afford to on Second Life! The existence is virtual but the dollars are real.
Just like you can sell virtual Real Estate, you can also sell other virtual items to the residents of Second Life! From exotic massages to Super computers. Just set up a virtual store and send interesting bits and pieces to catch the attention of snooty Second Lifers! The great thing is, everybody is a generous spender where virtual reality is concerned.
BECOME A GAME TESTER:
Is it possible that you have read the title wrong? Are there really such fantastic creatures out there who pay you to test video games online? Can you really make money sitting on your couch and enjoying the hell out of yourself? Yes, Yes and Yes!!
The life of a game tester is the stuff of dreams. But it is sometimes lonely and tough. We certainly do not recommend it as a career even if the opportunity presents itself! Game Testers suffer from loss of purpose after the novelty of the job wears off and remember, testing a game sometimes from small developers with poor coding is not the seamless experience of paid, fully tested versions! There are bugs and glitches and it may become irritating after a while! Especially since you need to be reporting the improvements needed and the experience with conscientious care.
HOW TO DO IT:
- 1. You need to sign up for a site like www.game-testers.net . Thankfully the sign up is free.
- 2. You need to fill out your user profile. This will give potential testing clients an idea about your gaming experience and the platforms you are comfortable with.
- 3. After submission, you wait to be contacted for a “study” which is a form of interview with the client! If you can impress with your prowess, the job is yours!
4. You can earn a decent sum of up to $50 an hour.
Just remember, there is no job security or respect in this industry! But if treated as a past time, nothing can beat game testing!
GOOGLE MAPS MAKES YOU MONEY:
Google Maps is a fairly new addition to the awesome family of resources Google has on offer! And the entrancing thing is the fact that most of it is free for the users. So let’s take a minute off and bow our heads in respect for this giant conglomerate which is in tandem with Microsoft responsible for 90% of the growth we have seen in our virtual existence.
Google Maps is a web based mapping application which provides detailed information about the region, landmarks and topography of sites the world over. It is sometimes embedded into websites so that viewers can pin point the exact location of the business outfit in question. It is also a very useful tool of general navigation and information about a particular region.
Google Maps is rapidly expanding and as a result Google is laying down money for locals to input trivia and snippets about their locales supplemented by pictures.
MAIN ATTRIBUTE: You need to be thorough and organized. Remember this is Google! If you want to see your work being approved and thus getting paid, your information must be correct and represented in an easy to read friendly tone.
SECONDARY ATTRIBUTE: You don’t have to be a shutterbug! But you should know how to keep the smudgy fingers away from the camera lens and focus it properly!
HOW TO DO IT:
1. Just choose the location you want to update Google about
2. Check out the Google Maps application to see whether it has already been taken or not.
3. If the option is open, gather the relevant background about the place, the location of the important landmarks and even pictures of the tourist attractions and spots of stunning natural beauty if any.
4. Submit your handiwork to Google at Google Places.
5. If Google likes the quality of your submission, you will be paid for the entry.
MELODY TO THE MEDLEY: SONGS EARN MONEY ONLINE
You can indeed make a tidy bunch of money selling songs. We know that the market is simply saturated with rap stars, newbies and wannabies. Most of them can’t sing or write to save their lives. Lyrics are no longer the soul to the body of the vocals, blending to give birth to the perfect song! These days melody has lost its meaning. There are random, sometimes electronic beats which are loud, raucous and debilitating to babies and senior citizens! To add to the misery, if you do end up understanding the words to some of these “atrocities”, you will wish you hadn’t paid attention! Music has largely degenerated into a cesspool of profanity and shallow misogynistic ranting!
Maybe that is the very reason why if you understand emotions and know how to empathize with the listener, your job is half done. If you can evoke that sense of nostalgia with a Celine Dion style offering of times when music inspired and soothed, it is likely that people will pay to download your original creations.
MAIN ATTRIBUTE: Talent! You need a way with words and if you will be performing the song yourself, you need to have good tonal quality.
SECONDARY ATTRIBUTE: You need to have access to a rudimentary studio. Chances are you have one in your garage! If you don’t, catch hold of a local band and get them to perform it for you!
HOW TO DO IT:
We will not tell you how to create the songs per se; the artist is the only one who can control the creative process. We will however quip in with a few guidelines.
1. Decide early who you will be playing for. The music market is the most diverse. From 2 year old Mattie to 89 year old Mr. Davin, every demographic section has a music preference. After you introspect to find the style you are most comfortable with, zero in on a famous artist whose work appeals to your target audience. Investigate the discography of the artist in question and come up with a possible style you can emulate. Maybe the overall feel, maybe the background music or maybe the tone of the songs- it is really up to you.
2. Perform with passion. If the feelings you imbue the song with are genuine and from the heart, it can compensate for the scratchy recording quality or the amateurish mixing.
3. Sell your song on sites like www.wiseband.com and www.songbay.co. Most of these portals will provide you with marketing means and a variety of formats to get your stuff to your audience. You will be at liberty to set the price, but do not aim very high.
You can make some money selling midis as well. What is a midi? MIDI is an acronym for Musical Instrument Digital Interface. The MIDI technology allows for different musical devices to communicate with each other and with computer and processing based nodes. A MIDI channel of say a song contains all the information about the various attributes of the song like the pitch, the frequency, the vibrato and the various cues so that it can be reproduced by either an assembly of musical instruments or a computer enabled with a sequencer. All you need for the magic to begin is a MIDI keyboard and a software package like Pro Tools or Reason. And voila you have a long list of virtual instruments at your disposal to create midi versions of popular songs or original creations! They are a hit as ringtones.
MIDI files are small in size and compatible with any audio player. So it is obviously a great way for budding music producers to try their hand at the latest creations knocking about in their heads and earn money selling the finished products on sites like www.cybermidi.com!